About Attorney John S. Cossum
Scottsdale Criminal Defense Lawyer & Family Law Attorney
With more than three decades of legal experience, Attorney John Cossum provides excellent representation in criminal defense and family law cases in Scottsdale, Phoenix, and surrounding areas. Attorney Cossum has a commitment to legal excellence and provides unmatched client service. Do not hesitate to speak with him about your legal matter, whether it involves an arrest for an alleged crime or a family law issue such as divorce. For high-quality representation in your case, call the Law Offices of John S. Cossum at (602) 553-1175!
Experience in Both Prosecution & Defense
Attorney Cossum has more than 25 years of experience in state and federal criminal law, both as a prosecuting attorney and as a criminal defense attorney. This experience has enabled him to develop not only knowledge and understanding of criminal law defense, but most importantly, the wisdom and creative thinking of how to apply the law to the facts of each case he handles. Whatever type of crime you are charged with, Attorney Cossum can skillfully defend you.
Why hire an attorney who only works in state court to handle your federal court case? The penalties in federal court are as harsh as any in the country. Therefore, you need a lawyer with the appropriate level of knowledge and experience to start defending you immediately. Retaining an attorney with decades of federal criminal defense experience for your representation provides you with is a powerful weapon. It’s your life and your freedom on the line, so make sure to choose the right legal counsel!
Mr. Cossum has successfully defended thousands of individuals in all walks of life who were accused of all types of crimes, including:
- Federal crimes
- Narcotics possession
- Drug trafficking
- Internet crimes
- Juvenile crimes
- Murder and manslaughter
- Sex crimes
- Theft and fraud
- Weapons offenses
Mr. Cossum is a respected Scottsdale criminal defense lawyer whose primary goal is to help people get on with their lives after they have either made a mistake or have been wrongfully accused of a criminal act.
Mr. Cossum’s “informed decision” approach is evident as he:
- Explains the pros and cons of the possible outcomes of your case
- Clarifies for you the uncertainty of what may happen next
- Explains the consequences a particular outcome may have on your family, business, and career
- Holds your information in the strictest confidence
- Explains the options and strategies involved in successfully defending a criminal charge
Legal Counsel for Family Law Matters
Through his family law practice, Attorney Cossum provides legal counsel to individuals who are dealing with divorce, child custody, and other family-related legal issues. When you hire him for your family law case, you can trust that he will be looking out for your best interests, and the best interests of your family. He can help you protect your rights as a spouse / former spouse, your rights as a parent, and your financial future. Whether you need assistance negotiating an agreement with the other party or taking your legal matter to court, Attorney Cossum has the skill and experience need to properly represent you.
Quality Legal Counsel for Your Case
While quality representation comes with a cost, it also comes with the peace of mind that your case is being handled by an experienced professional who is dedicated to meeting and exceeding your expectations. At the Law Offices of John S. Cossum, we can provide you with the support you need every step of the way!
When you work with the Law Offices of John S. Cossum, you will receive:
- Quality representation — In his more than 30 years as an attorney, Mr. Cossum has successfully represented thousands of clients and has been rated by other attorneys to possess exceptional legal ability and to maintain the highest ethical standards.
- Personal attention — Mr. Cossum personally handles every case for every client he agrees to represent. As a result, when you work with him, you know your case will be handled by the attorney you hire, not by a junior attorney with limited experience.
- 24/7 availability — You can call Attorney Cossum at any time concerning your case. He knows how important and urgent legal issues can be, which is why he makes himself available around-the-clock for his clients.
Specialties: Criminal, Family, and Commercial Litigation
- The University of Texas School of Law – Doctor of law (J.D.), 1978 – 1981
- Vanderbilt University – B.A. in history and political science, 1974 – 1978
- Graduated cum laude
- Owner – Law Offices of John S. Cossum (1988 – present)
- Special Assistant United States Attorney – United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Texas (1985 – 1987)
- Gulf Coast Drug Task Force Liaison
- Organized Crime Prosecutor – Harris County District Attorney’s Office (1985 – 1987)
- Organized Crime Prosecutor, Special Crimes Bureau
- Trial Court Prosecutor – Harris County District Attorney’s Office (1982 – 1984)
- Misdemeanor and Felony Trial Court Prosecutor
Please note that all content on this website is for informational purposes only. Nothing on this website should be considered to be a legal opinion. If the reader desires a legal opinion, he or she should contact Mr. John Cossum’s office or another attorney. In order for Attorney Cossum to represent you, a written agreement will need to be executed in which you agree to retain Mr. Cossum as your Scottsdale criminal defense or family law attorney and he agrees to represent you as a client.